OPD History

Print
Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The City of Odessa was incorporated on April 18, 1927. The first police judge was appointed on July 20, 1936, and received $1.00 for each case that was prosecuted. The first traffic signals were installed at the intersections of Grant & Pearl, Grant & 5th Street and Grant & 8th Street on December 13, 1939.

 

Additionally, on this date, the City traded $340.00 worth of Elm trees to Ector County for a motorcycle.

First City of Odessa Jail from 1888 to 1924 on Courthouse Square, NW corner.

City of Odessa, today, same view as above photo. North Grant Street from 2nd Street.

From 1934 to 1944, the City of Odessa had two (2) Police Chiefs (Hugh Ratliff and Luther Thomas Reese). At that time they were called City Marshals. Along with a Deputy, they were responsible for law enforcement within the city.

There was no two-way radio communications at that time. The only means of communication was a red light which sat on top of the County Court House. When this light was on, officers would go to a call box and call into the station to obtain the call for service.

City Hall and Police Department, mid to late 1940's, 200 North Lincoln which is now the current site of the Central Fire Station.

Carl Taylor was Odessa’s third (3rd) Chief of Police. He was also the last elected Police Chief for the City and served from 1944-1946. Chief Taylor fell out of grace with the City Council and was replaced by H.S. Cowsar. According to Charles Wayne Kessler, who joined OPD on 11/01/45, there were six (6) officers working 12 hour shifts. The City limits extended north to 8th Street, west to West County Road, east to East County Road (Dixie Boulevard) and south to just a little past Clements Street. OPD had three jail cells and officers did not carry handcuffs. Under Chief Taylor, officers were given a choice of working two man units for ten hours a day or one man units for eight hours a day.

H.S. Cowsar was Odessa’s fourth Chief of Police, 1946-1948. Chief Cowsar hired an Assistant Chief, Johnny Raulston, who was from back east. Sergeant "Cubby" Heaton and several other officers staged a "walk out" and the City Council subsequently fired Chief Cowsar and Raulston. Sergeant Heaton was promoted to acting Police Chief, and he appointed Officer C.W. Kessler to be his assistant. The City Council did not appoint acting Chief Heaton as the full- time Police Chief, but hired S.O. Hamm, a former Texas Ranger. Chief Hamm brought with him H.L. Rich from the Houston Police Department and promoted him to Sergeant. Acting Chief Heaton returned to his previous position of Sergeant.

Odessa Police Department in 1947 with 26 Officers.

Chief Cowsar front row on left, front row on right Assistant Chief Raulston.

5th Chief of Police Chief
S.O. Hamm 1948-1950

Front row second from left - Officer Jack Tomlin, who went on to become Police Chief some 20 years later. Second row - to the right of Chief Hamm is future Records Captain Boots Hawthorne who completed almost 40 years of service with the Odessa Police Department. Top row, next to last from the left to right is future Justice of Peace (1970's & 80's) Jimmy Harris. (Pictured to the right)

Pictured here are Chief Hamm and his officers. Chief Hamm did not last quite two years. The City Council fired him and appointed Cubby Heaton Police Chief. Research indicates that the City Council could not control Chief Hamm and that was their reason to fire him.

6th Chief of Police
J.J. Cubby Heaton - 1950-1952

 

Population of Odessa is approximately 30,000 in 1952. Supervisors wore white hats.

Sergeant Leo Peyton dispatching.

South Plains Officers Association meeting in Odessa, November 11, 1951. W.O. Shafer with hands in pockets, Sheriff Earnest Broughton (cowboy hat to the right), Chief Heaton and to his left, DPS Trooper John White - who served almost 40 years in DPS here in Odessa.

Motorcycle Officers Vernon Toone and Red Bailey with Cowboy film stars Bill Hale and Ray Whitley.

7th Chief of Police
Chief Jess L. Cariker 1952-1967
(Deceased on January 24, 1999 at the age of 92 in Las Vegas, Nevada)

 

November 1952 - The City Council hired Jess Cariker as Police Chief without Chief Heaton’s knowledge. At the time Jess Cariker was hired, he was an investigator for the Dallas District Attorneys Office. His starting salary was $7,200.00 a year. Chief Cariker was credited for cleaning up the "Tough Cop" image. He was the first Odessa Police Chief to attend the FBI Academy.

 

Wayne Kessler and Cubby Heaton left the force together and started the H&K Armored Car Service, which still services our community today. In 1952, the vehicle fleet of the Odessa Police Department consisted of three patrol cars, two motorcycles, and one traffic unit. The starting salary for a Police Officer was $303.00 a month. After 36 months, the officer advanced to top pay of $360.00 per month.

Traffic Officers Burns and Tommy Dyers, mid 1950's

 

Officer N.E. "Pop" Ratliff was the first employee to retire from the Odessa Police Department with a salary. Jack Tomlin, who progressed to the rank of Lieutenant was sent to the FBI Academy in Washington D.C.. In 1955, convicted rapist Harry L. Butcher was put to death for 2 rapes that occurred in Odessa. This was the first formal death sentence on record for Odessa. Odessa Police Department Motorcycle Division switched from traditional hats to motorcycle helmets.

The Police Department moved out from housing with the Fire Department into the old City Hall Building at 221 North Lee (City Hall was then moved to 6th & Graham). The Inn of the Golden West in the background, today is known as the Lincoln Tower Retirement Community. In 1956, 60,000 people attended the Permian Basin Oil Show. City employees, in 1957, voted to participate in Social Security. The population of the City was 73,733 at this time an increase of about 43,000 people in 5 years.

Three motorcycle Officers before helmets were worn.

OPD shoulder patch that was worn from the 1950's through the early 60's.

Motorcycle Officers with their new helmets.

Traffic Captain M.L. Buhn with motorcycle unit.

In 1958, the vehicle fleet of the Odessa Police Department consisted of 10 Patrol cars, 3 Detective Units, 1 Accident Unit, 7 Motorcycles, an Assistant Chief’s car and a Chief’s car. All officers received a new badge at a cost of $10.00 each. The population of the City of Odessa was 79,521 people.

 

In 1959, the Police Department and Municipal Court employed a total of seventy-five (75) employees. The starting salary for an Odessa Police Officer was $350.00 a month.

 

In 1960, the Odessa Police Department received a new teletype machine that put the Department on line with other area agencies. The salary of a Police Officer increased to $360.00 a month a $10.00 a month raise. Chief Cariker announced that music would be played in the lobby of Corporation Court (Municipal Court) to sooth the tension of citizens paying traffic fines. In 1964, the Odessa Police Department purchased it’s first polygraph machine at a cost of $1,395.00. The Personnel Director announced that the Police Department was facing a severe personnel shortage, due to several police officers resigning, forcing the City to implement a 48 hour work week. Chief Cariker announced that the Police Department would conduct vacation watches for private citizens.

Meter Maids in the early 60's

Parking Control Officer Sandra Jenkins

Patrol Briefing by Captain Thompson - 1960's. Jack Fillyaw with pipe and Mike Eudy at the Domino table (NOTE: this Domino table is still with us and currently is in the Odessa Police Department Break Room)

 

Chief Cariker was forced to resign after 17 years as Chief. He later went on to teach Law Enforcement at Hardin Simmons University in Abilene. In 1970's and 1980's, he was the Director of Security for Furr’s Inc. Former Chief Cariker had a total of thirty-four (34) years in law enforcement.

8th Chief of Police - Chief Jack Tomlin 1969-1981

 

ack Tomlin, a 21 year Police Department veteran, is named the 8th City of Odessa Chief of Police and served from 1969- 1981. Chief Tomlin promoted W.F. "Bill" Musser and Jack Hardin to the rank of Captain. Bill Musser later on became a U.S. Deputy Marshall. Additionally, Chief Tomlin promoted Sergeant Tommy Callendar to Assistant Police Chief.

Traffic Lt. Jim Hallman with Motorcycle Unit in 1976 - Unit on new Kawasaki’s (a switch from Harley Davidsons)

 

Unit from right to left: Lee Freeman, Bobby J. Moore, Lt. Jim Hallman, J.D. Wingrove, Marshall Finley.

Captain Jack Hardin in Radio Room

Police Unit with outside radar unit - 1973 Police Badge

Police Badge displayed on all Police Units

Police Unit on display at Winwood Mall during Prevention Week - 1973

Gray and Blue Police Units - circa 1979

Crime Prevention Office in the 400 block of North Grant

The SWAT teams from the 1970's have gone through a major renovation into the 1990's and the new millennium, due to the advancement of technology, weapons and the concern for officers' safety. SWAT Teams have progressed as Specialized Units of law enforcement. The tactical gear worn today compared to teams of the past enables team members to perform their assigned task while assuring a safe, successful outcome to both the public and law enforcement. Members are highly trained in areas of specialized weapons, tactics and operations.

Alan R. Stewart - 9th Chief of Police, 1981 to 1991.

 

Chief Stewart was the First Chief of Police with a college degree. Chester Nolan, Assistant City Manager, was acting Chief of Police, for approximately six (6) months while the City looked for a new Police Chief.


Badge - 1969 to 1984


Badge -1984 to Present


Shoulder patch - 1984 to Present

Radio Room in OPD - prior to 1996 - Dispatcher C. Miller

 

Dispatching calls for service was conducted in the basement area of the Odessa Police Department. On September 26, 1996, dispatchers for the Police Department and Fire Department were combined into one unit, moving into the newly established dispatching center located at the Municipal Plaza Building. Today’s center consist of 4 Dispatching areas (2 police & 2 fire), 2 call taking areas and 1 training area. Today’s equipment is the most current state of the art communication system, utilizing computer technology to assign and track all calls for service.

 

Construction of the new Police Department located at 205 North Grant began in 1982 and was completed in 1983. The current location houses both the Police Department and Municipal Court. Also included is the City Jail which is currently being leased to a private business for housing outside prisoners.

Odessa Police Department Motorcycles were removed from service by City Manager Bill Brown. This Unit was first placed into service in October 1939 and removed from service in June 1989, just 4 months short of 50 years. At this time there were 19 Motors in service.

Our 10th Chief was James H. Jenkins.

 

He came to the Odessa Police Department on September 9, 1991 from Daytona Beach, Florida Police Department where he served for twenty-four (24) years and retired as a Deputy Chief. Chief Jenkins had 4 college degree’s - Master of Science in Criminal Justice, Master of Science in Management, Bachelor of Arts in Criminal Justice and an Associate in Science in Law Enforcement. He also retired after 10 years of service.

 

Chief Jenkins brought with him many innovated police programs including the philosophy of Community Policing, bringing law enforcement and the community together for the common good of the City. Joining forces in a unique solidarity to fight crime and problem solving.

The Community Relations Division was formed under the direction of Chief Jenkins in December 1991. The Division was charged with all Community Policing projects at that time, such as Neighborhood Watch, McGruff, Police Athletic League, Explorers and the Teddy Bear Program. Within 18 months of it’s inception the various programs administered by this unit expanded to a total of 26 different programs. In July, 1994, due to this Division’s rapid growth and public acceptance, the entire Division was transferred to the newly City acquired Municipal Plaza Building located at 4th Street and North Lee Street.

Christopher C. Pipes was appointed as the department's 11th Chief of Police by City Manager Richard Morton in January of 2002. He began with the department as a cadet in March of 1983 and promoted through the ranks. He holds an Associate in Applied Science Degree in Law Enforcement from Odessa College, a Baccalaureate Degree in Criminal Justice from the University of Texas of the Permian Basin, and a Master's Degree in Biology, also from UTPB.

 

During Chief Pipes’s tenure, new technology was introduced to the Department. Each Patrol Unit was equipped with a moving radar and a mobile data computer. The VHS in-car audio/video recording systems were replaced with digital equipment. The "PDSTAT" program was also instituted. The "PDSTAT" program provides real time computerized crime data to Department personnel on a regular basis in order to target resources against individuals and locations that are the source of criminal activity. Additionally, the Community Relations Unit was greatly streamlined to eliminate programs for which no proven benefit could be demonstrated in terms of crime reduction. As a result, numerous police officer positions were moved from this unit back to the Patrol Services Bureau. Chief Pipes retired on March 31, 2008, after 25 years and one month of service.