The Dedication. The Pride. The Legacy. The Honor.
Commitment to Excellence
"Officers of the Odessa Police Department aspire to provide the highest quality police services to the citizens of Odessa"
A wide variety of career opportunities are available for individuals with varied interests, talents, and skills. Officers are promoted within the ranks, so a career with the Odessa Police Department offers potential for advancement and promotion. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
What does it take to be an Odessa Police Officer? A deep sense of patriotism, unyielding dedication to protecting the public, sacrifice, and a passion for the American way of life is just the beginning. The desire and dedication to make a difference in the lives of many is an important trait to have to be an Odessa Police Officer.
A career with the Odessa Police Department offers:
- Prestige and Respect
- Personal Satisfaction
- Variety of Assignments
- A Chance to Make Your Own Decisions
The Odessa Police Department facility houses 182 sworn personnel, plus 54 civilian personnel. The Bureaus within the Department include Operations Bureau and Special Operations Bureau.
Officers have the opportunity to transfer and/or specialize in numerous divisions and sections within the Department. The areas include: Detectives, Patrol/Traffic, K-9, Special Investigations, Crisis Negotiation Team, Bomb Squad and the S.W.A.T. Team.
All uniforms and equipment are furnished by the Department, with the exception of footwear. Uniforms are professionally dry cleaned at no expense to the employee.
Lateral Entry at the Corporal Level
Effective 7-1-13, the Odessa Police Department began a Lateral Entry Program for Police Officers. This program is designed to serve as a recruitment incentive, allowing former or current certified/licensed officers to join the ranks of the Odessa Police Department at an elevated entry level salary. This salary is based on past law enforcement tenure, granting salary credit for at least two continuous years of service with the past employer. Lateral entry Police Officers will be placed on the pay scale at the step equivalent to their years of qualified service.
The program affects salary alone. Other programs within the Department where tenure is an issue such as promotional eligibility, shift assignments, days off, etc., are not affected.
- Certified/licensed candidates from municipal, county, state or federal law enforcement agencies are eligible, and may be from in-state or out-of-state.
- Federal and out-of-state candidates must be licensed by the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) prior to receiving Lateral Entry pay.
- All Officers are hired at the rank of Police Officer. If an Officer is eligible for the rank of Corporal at the time of hire, they shall be promoted to the rank of Corporal immediately after successful completion of the Corporal exam.
- Persons entering laterally into the Department may challenge the Corporal exam at any time or at the next scheduled examination.
- The examination for the rank of Corporal will be conducted in April, August and December of each year.
- Police Recruit starts at: $2,396.00
- Police Officer starts at: $4,115.00
- Police Corporal starts at: $4,499.00