Skip to page body Home Chiefs Office About OPD Community Employment Reports I Want to...

Animal Control Unit

The Animal Control Division of the Odessa Police Department works to safeguard our citizens. Our services include zoonotic disease prevention, animal bite investigation, education on responsible pet ownership, animal adoption and caring for stray and unwanted animals.

910 W. 42nd Street, phone: 432-368-3527 
Animal Shelter Manager: Jacqueline Adimare 

Monday, Wednesday and Friday 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. 
Tuesday and Thursday 10 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Saturday 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.

For Emergencies: Call 911
Animal Emergencies Include: Animal attacks and Vicious animals.

For Non-Emergency Animal Issues: Call 432-333-3641.
Animal Non-Emergencies Include: Dead Animals, Injured Animals and Animal Bites.

For Animal Shelter Information: Call 432-368-3527.

As mandated by the Texas Health and Safety Code 823, a veterinarian annually inspects Odessa Animal Control. Dr. Becky Battershell DVM inspected on December 18, 2016. Per Texas Health and Safety Code 826, a Texas Administrative Code, Rabies Control and Education Section 169.26, The Department of State Health Services annually inspect the Animal Control Shelter facility. The Odessa Police Department Animal Control Division has passed every inspection.

As in City Ordinance 2-4-5; licensed animals are held for 10 days and unlicensed animals for 3 days. After that, the animal's disposition may be determined by the space available at the shelter. If the animal is injured or diseased, the holding period may be waived.

As per the State Health and Safety Code 821.052 and 821.053 and the Texas Administration Code Title 25 Part 1 Chapter 169.84, animals are euthanized by injection only.


  • What should I do with issues involving Bees or other insects including rodents?  Contact a local pest control company for those type of issues.             
  • Where can I find information about the city ordinances relating to animals?
    Ordinances that pertain to the regulation of animals can be found in Chapter Two (2) of the City Code.
  • As a resident in the city limits of Odessa how many pets may I have?
    Within the city limits you are allowed to have a total of 4 pets. (For example: 2 dogs and 2 cats, or any combination of dogs or cats not exceeding four total)
  • If I live outside of city limits what are the regulations for animal pets in the county?
    For citizens that live outside the city limits the Animal Control Shelter can provide you with Ector County Regulations on dogs and cats.
  • If I have an animal emergency after hours, where do I call?
    Please call the Odessa Police Department at 368-3527
  • Do I need a permit to sell animals in a public place, for example dogs and cats?
    Yes, you need a permit. It is a violation of city ordinance to sell animals in a public place without a permit.
  • Where do I get a permit to sell animals?
    A permit may be obtained at City Hall in the City Permits and License Department.
  • If I adopt a cat or dog do I need to get it spayed or neutered?
    All pets adopted from the Odessa Police Animal Control Shelter MUST be spayed or neutered per state law. Failure to do so will result in a citation.
  • What can I do if I have a problem with stray cats or wildlife, for example a skunk?
    Cat and wildlife traps may be checked out at the shelter, with a $35.00 deposit. The deposit is refunded with the return of the trap. When an animal is caught in the trap an Animal Control officer will come to your location and remove the animal. Animal Control does not set traps in inclement weather, over weekends or on Holidays.
  • How long will my dog or cat be held if it gets impounded?
    KennelsDogs and cats that are not wearing a current vaccination for rabies are held for three days.
    Dogs and cats that are currently vaccinated for rabies and are wearing their tags at impoundment are held for 10 calendar days
  • Can I call the Animal Control Shelter to check if my dog or cat was impounded?
    No, per policy the shelter can not describe animals over the phone. You are welcome to come into the Animal Control shelter as often as you like, during business hours, to look for your pet.
  • What can I do if I have a barking dog complaint?
    Notify Animal Control of the location of the barking dog and an officer will go to that location and speak with the owners of the dog. If the barking continues you can come to the Animal Control Shelter and pick up a prosecutor referral form.


Last updated: 8/25/2016 2:27:38 PM