The program is on a first-come, first-serve basis. Assistance is only available for dwellings, NOT mobile homes, and the property must be located within the city limits. To receive assistance, the Homeowner must meet the following requirements:
- Property Ownership: The Homeowner must be the "Owner of Record," which means the property must be clear of any liens before any assistance can be provided, i.e., no mortgage or reverse mortgage. The owner must also have owned the home for a period of at least twelve (12) months.
- Residency: Applicants must provide evidence of having resided on the premises to be rehabilitated continuously for a period of at least 12 months
- Taxes: To be eligible for a Full Rehabilitation or Reconstruction, all property taxes must be current. On Emergency or Minor Repair projects, ONLY the property owner may have a balance of less than $150.
- Citizenship: All applicants must be U.S. citizens or have long-term legal residency status.
- Drug and Criminal Activity: Residents of the property cannot have a felony conviction within the last five years.
If you meet the criteria above please call the Community Development Department at 432-335-4883 to discuss being put on our waiting list.