Odessa Police Offering Tips for Avoiding Scams
The Odessa Police Department has recently received several complaints in reference to a scam involving a cashier's check and prepaid gift cards. Do not cash the check and do not purchase gift cards as this is a scam. Here are a few tips for avoiding scams:
1) A legitimate business will never ask for payment in form of a prepaid gift card.
2) The scammer will ask you to buy a prepaid debit/credit card and ask you for the code on the back of the card. DO NOT give them that information.
3) Never give out your personal information (example: credit card numbers, social security numbers, birth dates, etc.).
4) DO NOT pick up calls from unknown numbers or callers. If the information is important or urgent, the callers will probably leave a voicemail or find another way to contact you.
5) Please be cautious if you decide to call the caller back as some scams are designed to bill victims for international calls (typically a $19.95 charge).
6) DO NOT send cash and DO NOT wire money until you verify the information.
7) Notify family members to determine if an emergency exists.
8) Monitor your incoming calls carefully.