WHEN YOU CAN’T CALL 9-1-1, TEXT TO 9-1-1
The Odessa Police Department would like to remind the public that texting 9-1-1 to Odessa Public Safety Communications is an option under certain circumstances. It’s designed for times when you are unable to call or unable to speak due to safety concerns or other issues. Connecting with our community is vitally important and we want to provide the citizens of Odessa with capabilities to do so.
9-1-1 Texting Tips:
1) It’s utilized just like any other text messages that are sent.
2) When texting to 9-1-1, try not to use text language as not everyone is versed on this. Make your message clear and understandable if possible.
3) Just like verbal communication with 9-1-1, you’ll be asked certain questions so that the appropriate help will get to you.
4) It is another avenue to reach emergency help when you need it.
5) It illegal to text 9-1-1 when there is not an emergency. This offense can result in being charged with a “Class B Misdemeanor”, with a maximum fine of up to $2,000 and up to 180 days in jail.