Leaving Keys in Ignition Contributes to Stolen Vehicles
Now that the cold weather has arrived, the Odessa Police Department would like to remind the public that car thieves are looking for vehicles to steal. Car thieves have been driving around during the early morning hours and are targeting motorists who are “warming up” their vehicles.
The vast majority of stolen vehicles are occurring as a result of either keys left in the ignition or spare keys left inside the vehicle. So far during 2019, approximately 431 vehicles have been reported stolen, including 61 during October.
Auto Theft Prevention Tips:
1) Avoid leaving or hiding spare keys in your vehicle.
2) It is illegal to leave your keys in the ignition with the engine running & vehicle left unattended. Doing this can result in a fine of up to $140.
3) Some insurance companies will not cover your vehicle if it is stolen as result of this happening.
4) It is legal to leave your vehicle unattended with the engine running if you use a remote start device.
5) Report all suspicious activity, suspicious persons, and suspicious vehicles to OPD.