Animal Control

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Odessa Police Animal Control - Field Operations Division

Mission Statement

The Odessa Police Animal Control – Field Operations Division is an entity of the Odessa Police Department that strives to safeguard our citizens and community with animal related issues. We provide various animal related services to the public.  These services include but are not limited to: zoonotic disease control and education, animal cruelty investigation/prosecution, animal bite investigation/prevention, removal of unwanted animals by way of humane trap setting, control of wildlife, and other animal related issues.


Field Operations Manager: Joe Barreraz


Field Operations Supervisor: William Carpenter


Hours of Operation:

Monday – Friday: 7:00am-6:00pm (after 6:00pm emergency officer on duty)

Saturday/Sunday/Holidays: Emergency calls only for on-call officer



Who do I call if I want to report an animal attack/bite/vicious animal?

    Call the Odessa Police Dispatch at 911.

Who do I call if I want to report a stray, dead, or barking dog issue during or after regular business hours?

    You contact Odessa Police Dispatch at (432) 333-3641 (non-emergency number).


Where can I find an updated copy of the Odessa City Ordinance?

     You may access this information at

How can I get rid of stray/unwanted cats at my house?

    You have two options. 1. You can contact Odessa Police Department at (432) 333-3641 and report your cat issue. An officer will contact you with further information. Keep in mind, the feral cat issue is all over Odessa so it may take a week or so to get a trap set. 2. You can purchase your own trap and Field Operations will gladly service the trap for you (extract cat, reset, re-bait).

How many dogs/cats can I legally keep at my residence?

    According to Article 2-3 Dogs and Cats (Sec. 2-3-1 Maximum number), It shall be unlawful…for any person to keep, possess, or maintain dogs and/or cats in a total number exceeding four (4) per Premises I.e. 2 dogs 2 cats, 1 cat 3 dogs, etc.

How often does my dog/cat/ferret need to receive the rabies vaccine?

    According to Article 2-3 Dogs and Cats (Sec. 2-3-3) The owner of each dog or cat four (4) months of age or older…shall obtain an annual vaccination-license certificate and tag from a veterinarian…

Will an Animal Control Officer come out and inspect my home/property to ensure my pets are within city ordinance?

    Yes. Contact (432) 333-3641 (Odessa Police Department non-emergency number) and an officer will gladly come out and assist/inform you.

If I live in the county (red street signs) and have an animal issue, who do I contact?

    If you live in the county, you need to contact the Ector County Sheriff’s Office at              (432) 335-3050.

If I want to report an animal relate issue, can I stay anonymous?

    Yes you can. But, we would rather you include our name and phone number so we may contact you if more information is needed. We never divulge your information.

If Animal Control picks up a stray animal and I want it, how can I adopt it?

    If you choose to adopt an animal that has been picked up as a stray, you may go to the Animal Control Shelter located at 910 W. 42nd Street and ask the staff for further information concerning adoptions or call (432) 368-3527 to inquire.