The Odessa Police Department Telephone Response Unit provides a 24 hour service to the public. This Unit is under the direct supervision of Lieutenant Sampson and is comprised of one civilian supervisor and four full time employees. The TRU is a non-sworn position designed to improve the Police Department's response to the increasing demands for service. The Unit serves as the Department's information center. It oversees security for the police building, provides guidance and assistance to people coming into the building or by telephone, and takes minor police reports (without evidence) over the telephone in order to relieve the workload of officers in the field. The reports taken by the TRU are just as effective as an officer's report and will be forwarded to the proper locations, such as Records or Detectives, etc.
The types of reports that may be taken over the telephone are:
- Criminal Mischief (without evidence)
- Auto Burglary (no pictures necessary)
- Telephone Harassment (no evidence such as voicemail or text)
- Missing Person
- Debit/Credit Card Abuse (if the location used is in the city limits)
- Identity Theft
- Theft of Checks
- Information Reports (scams or other problems to report)
There are other types of reports that may be taken by the TRU in person at the front desk of the Police Department. These types of reports require the victim to provide documentation or evidence that can be taken into the PD at the time the crime is reported and therefore must be done in person. They are:
- Forgery-with a copy of the document forged and location (if possible)
- Telephone Harassment-with text messages or voice mails
- Criminal Mischief-with or without evidence that can be photographed. If the victim needs pictures of property damage such as a vehicle, etc. or the person brings in pictures to turn in as evidence, the TRU can do the report.
- Assaults-Class 'C' and 'A'
- Found Property
- Information Report for Violating a Protective Order-such as child custody issues
- Information Report for Scams
- Credit Card Abuse
- Identity Theft
- Retail Theft (with or without evidence)
For any Police information assistance or to make a Police Report over the telephone please contact the Telephone Response Unit at 432-335-4961 or 432-335-5784.