Animal Shelter

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Mission StatementAnimal Shelter 2

The Animal Shelter of the Odessa Police Department works to safeguard our citizens. Our services include zoonotic disease prevention, animal bite investigation, education on responsible pet ownership, animal adoption and caring for stray and unwanted animals.

Animal Shelter Manager: Ashley Hooker
E-Mail: Click Here

Hours of Operation:

  • Monday, Wednesday and Friday: 10:00am - 5:00pm 
  • Tuesday and Thursday: 10:00am - 7:00pm
  • Saturday: 10:00am - 2:00pm

For Emergencies: Call 911
Animal Emergencies Include: Animal Attacks and Vicious Animals.

For Non-Emergency Animal Issues: City Limits Call 432-333-3641 and County (outside city limits) Call 432-368-3526

Animal Non-Emergencies Include: Dead Animals, Injured Animals and Animal Bites.


For Animal Shelter Information: Call 432-368-3527.

Veterinarian Inspection and State Inspectionshelfter upgrade

As mandated by the Texas Health and Safety Code 823, a veterinarian annually inspects the Odessa Animal Shelter.  The last inspection was completed by Dr. Becky Battershell DVM, in January 2018. Per Texas Health and Safety Code 826, a Texas Administrative Code, Rabies Control and Education Section 169.26, The Department of State Health Services annually inspect the Animal Shelter facility. The Odessa Police Department Animal Shelter has passed every inspection.


As in City Ordinance 2-4-5; licensed animals are held for 10 days and unlicensed animals for 3 days. After that, the animal's disposition may be determined by the space available at the shelter. If the animal is injured or diseased, the holding period may be waived.

Euthanization - State Procedures

As per the State Health and Safety Code 821.052 and 821.053 and the Texas Administration Code Title 25 Part 1 Chapter 169.84, animals are euthanized by injection only.

Approved Fosters

Anyone wanting to foster an animal must be approved by the shelter manager (City ordinance Chapter 2 Article 2-3-4). Fosters must be part of an organized 501 (c)(3) rescue group, complete an application at the shelter, provide a copy of their driver's license or state issued identification and allow an animal control officer to inspect the premises where the animal(s) will be sheltered.

Commonly Asked Questions

What should I do with issues involving Bees or other insects including rodents?

Contact a local pest control company for those type of issues.

Where can I find information about the city ordinances relating to animals?

Ordinances that pertain to the regulation of animals can be found in Chapter Two (2) of the City Code.

As a resident in the city limits of Odessa how many pets may I have?

Within the city limits you are allowed to have a total of 4 pets. (For example: 2 dogs and 2 cats, or any combination of dogs or cats not exceeding four total)

If I live outside of city limits what are the regulations for animal pets in the county?

For citizens that live outside the city limits of the Animal Shelter, contact the Ector County Sheriffs Office on dogs and cats.

If I have an animal emergency after hours, where do I call?

Please call one of the following numbers: Within City Limits 432-368-3526 and County (outside of city limits) Call 432-335-3050

Do I need a permit to sell animals in a public place, for example dogs and cats?

Yes, you need a permit. It is a violation of city ordinance to sell animals in a public place without a permit.

Where do I get a permit to sell animals?

A permit may be obtained at City Hall in the City Permits and License Department.

If I adopt a cat or dog do I need to get it spayed or neutered?

All pets adopted from the Odessa Police Animal Shelter WILL be spayed or neutered per city ordinance unless the animal is too young at the time of adoption and a contract will be administered. Failure to comply will result in a citation.

What can I do if I have a problem with stray cats or wildlife, for example a skunk?

For any domesticated animal, such as a dog or cat, or wildlife such as skunks or foxes, please contact the Animal Control dispatch.  Any complaints that occur within the city limits will need to be directed to 432-368-3526.  All complaints that occur within the Ector County limits will need to be directed to 432-335-3050.  Cat or Wildlife traps are not available to be distributed to the public. Animal Control will not set traps in inclement weather, over weekends or on Holidays.

How long will my dog or cat be held if it gets impounded?

Dogs and cats that are not wearing a current vaccination for rabies are held for three days. Dogs and cats that are currently vaccinated for rabies and are wearing their tags at impoundment are held for 10 calendar days.  After the holding period has concluded animals may be placed up for adoption, released to rescue, or humanly euthanize.

Can I call the Animal Shelter to check if my dog or cat was impounded?

No, per policy the shelter can not describe animals over the phone. You are welcome to come into the Animal Shelter as often as you like, during business hours, to look for your pet.

What can I do if I have a barking dog complaint?

Notify Animal Control dispatch of the location of the barking dog and an officer will go to that location and speak with the owners of the dog. If the barking continues you can come to the Animal Shelter and pick up a prosecutor referral form.

LocationAnimal Shellter

910 W. 42nd Street
Phone: 432-368-3527